Very Rare Bird Sightings
- 4th September. There was a sighting of a single Haematopus fuliginosus x ophthalmicus a hybrid of The Northern and Southern Sooty Oystercatcher on the Tuncurry Breakwall
- 21st November. A Pale-vented Bush-hen, Amaurornis moluccana was heard and subsequently photographed in December at Lower Pappinbarra in the Hastings District. In all two were seen.
- 11th December. The arrival of some 13 to 18 Onychoprion aleuticus, the Aleutian Tern at Farquhar Inlet, Mudbishops Point Old Bar. They departed in late May 2018.
- 2nd January. Two Gang-gang Cockatoos, Callocephalon fimbriatum were recorded on the track east of The Whoota Whoota Lookout in the Wallingat National Park. It would appear that this is the first record of the species in this National Park and in the surrounding general area.
- 5 May. Thirty eight or more Swift Parrots, Lathamus discolor sighted in the the western end of the southern carpark of Coles on Major Innes Drive Lake Innes Port Macquarie. They were present mainly in the Forest Red Gums, Eucalyptus tereticornis which were not in flower. The birds appeared to be feeding on lerps. Two were sighted at 4.21 pm followed by flocks of 5, 7 and various other numbers.
- 17 May. Thirty two Swift Parrots at front of Lot 22 Tallong Drive Lake Cathie in Forest Red Gum, Eucalyptus tereticornis which were also not in flower. The birds were seen feeding on lerps.
- 29 May. One Red-backed Kingfisher, Todiramphus pyrrhopygius at 595 Belmore River North Bank Road, Gladstone. Seen by the author 25th June at the same address.
- 15 June. Two Pacific Gulls, Larus pacificus sighted at Seven Mile Beach Booti Booti National Park. (GPS -32.263578, 152.533499). First sighting in this area.
- 17 June. One female Musk Duck, Biziura lobata at Cattai Wetlands. First sighting at this location
- 17 June. Two Australian Gull-billed Terns, Gelochelidon macrotarsa sighted at Seven Mile Beach Booti Booti National Park. (GPS -32.263578, 152.533499). First sighting in this area.
© B M Ralley 2018